Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/rightcl4/public_html/wp-content/plugins/super-socializer/inc/social_sharing.php on line 205
The IBM Express x3400 M3 Server(Tower) supports optional spare DIMMs, memory mirroring, and RAID-0, RAID-1, and RAID-1E support standard with optional RAID-5, RAID-6, RAID-10, and RAID-50 available. It features large amounts of internal expansion and I/O support. Comprehensive systems management tools such as advanced diagnostics, Predictive Failure Analysis, and the ability to control resources from a single point make it easy to deploy, integrate, service, and manage from any location.
The IBM System x3400 M3 has the following features.
The x3400 M3 offers numerous features to boost performance and reduce costs:
- Up to two 6-core Intel Xeon 5600 series processors offering superior performance. Xeon 5600 series processors offer up to 54% better performance than the previous generation 5500 series processors (workload dependent).
- 16 DIMMs of registered 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC memory provide speed, high availability, and a memory capacity of up to 128 GB.
- High-performance 6 Gbps SAS RAID controllers and 15K RPM 6 Gbps SAS disk drives in a variety of capacities to suit your local storage requirements.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of or along with traditional spinning drives (HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance. An SSD can support 20,000 I/O operations per second (IOPS) whereas a typical HDD handles fewer than 500 IOPS.
Flexibility and scalability
The x3400 M3 has the ability to grow with your application requirements with these features:
- A choice of 4-core or 6-core processors with clock rates from 1.6 GHz to 3.6 GHz.
- 16 DIMM sockets allowing memory expansion of up to 128 GB.
- Up to two redundant hot-swap 920 W AC power supplies.
- Seven USB 2.0 ports available – two front, four rear, and one internal for an embedded hypervisor.
- The tower chassis can be converted to a 5U rack-mount chassis with the optional tower-to-rack conversion kit.
- Storage bay flexibility: Up to 16 hot-swap 2.5″ drive bays for SAS or SATA HDDs, or solid-state drives (intermixing supported) in addition to a bay for an internal optical drive.
- Direct-attach SAS storage with the EXP2512, EXP2524, and EXP3000 storage enclosures is supported. IBM System Storage servers, including network-attached storage (NAS), and iSCSI or Fibre Channel-attached storage, can also be attached.
- Up to seven PCI Express (PCIe) 2.0 I/O slots for increased network or storage connectivity. Optional PCI-X slots for specialized adapters.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the x3400 M3:
- The x3400 M3 includes an Integrated Management Module (IMM) to monitor server availability, perform Predictive Failure Analysis, and trigger IBM Systems Director alerts.
- An optional Virtual Media Key enables additional systems management capabilities, including web-based out-of-band remote control (keyboard video and mouse), remote optical drive support, Windows “blue screen” error capture, and support for LDAP and SSL protocols.
- Text Console Redirection support allows the administrator to remotely view x3500 M3 text messages over Serial or LAN connections.
- Integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) next-generation BIOS. New capabilities include:
- Human readable event logs — no more beep codes.
- Complete out-of-band coverage by the Advance Settings Utility to simplify remote setup.
- A complete setup solution, allowing adapter configuration functions to be moved into UEFI.
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 support.
- Industry-standard AES NI support for faster, stronger encryption.
- Integrated IPMI 2.0 support alerts IBM Systems Director to anomalous environmental factors, such as voltage and thermal conditions. It also supports highly secure remote power control using data encryption.
- IBM Systems Director is available for proactive systems management. IBM Systems Director comes with a portfolio of tools, including IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager, IBM Service and Support Manager, and others. IBM Systems Director also offers extended systems management tools for additional server management and increased availability. When a problem is encountered, IBM Systems Director can issue administrator alerts via email, pager, and other methods.
- IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager provides advanced power management features with actual real-time energy monitoring, reporting, and capping features.
Availability and serviceability
The System x3400 M3 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The server offer Chipkill ECC memory protection (when using x4 DIMMs). Chipkill memory is up to 16 times better than standard ECC memory at correcting memory errors. This can help reduce downtime caused by memory errors.
- The server offers memory mirroring for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- The server supports up to two redundant hot-swap 920 W AC power supplies.
- Toolless cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as HDDs and memory. Similarly, the Virtual Media Key and the ServeRAID controller can be installed and replaced without tools. This means less time (and therefore less money) spent servicing the x3400 M3.
- The server offers hot-swap and redundant fan modules and power supplies and hot-swap disk drives (redundant when implemented in conjuction with a RAID controller). These features mean greater system uptime.
- Toolless slides ship with the server, together with a cable management arm (CMA), that allows the rack server to easily slide into place.
- A light path diagnostics panel and individual light path LEDs quickly lead the technician to failed (or failing) components. This simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) offer significantly better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- The three-year (parts and labor) limited onsite warranty provides peace of mind and greater investment protection than a one-year warranty does.
The System x3400 M3 has an energy-efficient design with features including the following:
- Low-voltage processors draw less energy and produce less waste heat than high-voltage processors, thus helping to reduce data center energy costs. Available 4-core Xeon 5600 series processors use only 40 W and 6-core processors consume as little as 60 W.
- Optional solid-state drives (SSDs) use only 2 W of power per drive, compared to 9 – 10 W for 2.5-inch HDDs. This is as much as 80% less power than a 2.5-inch HDD would use, with a corresponding reduction in heat output that further improves the overall bottom line.
- Support for 1.35 V low-voltage DDR3 memory DIMMs that consume 20% less energy.
- Energy-efficient components, including low-voltage transistors and voltage regulator modules, and power supplies that are up to 90% efficient.
- The server uses hexagonal ventilation holes in the chassis. Hexagonal holes can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system chassis. This ultimately results in reduced operational costs.
The following table lists the standard specifications.
Table 1. Standard specifications
|Form factor||Tower or 5U Rack.|
|Processor||Up to two six-core (up to 3.46 GHz) or quad-core (up to 2.66 GHz) Intel Xeon 5600 series processors with QuickPath Interconnect technology up to 6.4 GT/s, and up to 1333 MHz memory speed. Supports specific Quad-core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors via Configure-To-Order (CTO).|
|Memory cache||Up to 12 MB L3 for Xeon 5600 processors. Up to 8 MB L3 for Xeon 5500 processors.|
|Memory||Up to 16 DIMM sockets (eight DIMMs per processor). Up to 128 GB with 8 GB DDR3 RDIMMs and 16 populated DIMM slots (up to 64 GB with eight DIMMs per processor), or up to 48 GB with 4 GB DDR3 UDIMMs and 12 populated DIMM slots (up to 24 GB with six DIMMs per processor).|
|Memory protection||ECC, ChipKill (for x4-based memory DIMMs), memory mirroring, and memory sparing.|
|Disk drive bays||Up to four 3.5″ Simple-Swap SATA HDDs, or up to eight 3.5″ hot-swap SAS/SATA HDDs, or up to 16 2.5″ hot-swap SAS/SATA HDDs or solid-state drives. If the 670 W fixed power supply is used, only up to four 3.5-inch drives can be installed or up to eight 2.5-inch drives can be installed.|
|Maximum internal storage||Up to 12 TB with 3TB 3.5″ SS SATA HDDs, or up to 24 TB with 3TB 3.5″ HS SATA HDDs, or up to 9.6 TB with 600 GB 2.5″ HS SAS HDDs. Intermix of SAS/SATA is supported.|
|RAID support||RAID 0, 1, 1E with ServeRAID BR10il v2 or M1015; RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50 with M5014 or M5015. An optional upgrade to RAID 5 is available for M1015. An optional upgrade to RAID 6, 60 is available for M5014/M5015.|
|Optical drive bays||One with support for HH DVD-ROM or Multiburner (for all models except 8x 3.5″ HDDs), or one with support for UltraSlim DVD-ROM or Multiburner (for 8x 3.5″ HDD models).|
|Tape drive bays||Two with support for HH internal tape drives. A maximum of one or two internal tape drives can be installed (tape drive dependent).|
|Ethernet||Integrated two Gigabit Ethernet ports. Broadcom 5716C controller.|
|PCI Expansion slots||The server supports up to eight PCI Express slots (six slots are on the system planar and one or two slots are on the extender card. The slot form factors are as follows.
PCI Express extender card (comes with standard models):
PCI-X extender card (only available in CTO):
|External ports||Two USB 2.0 on front. Four USB 2.0, one DB-15 video, one DB-9 serial, one RJ-45 systems management, two RJ-45 network ports on rear. One internal USB port for embedded hypervisor. One internal USB port for internal USB tape drive.|
|Cooling||IBM Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ with three hot swap (non-redundant) fans|
|Power supply||Up to two redundant hot-swap 920 W AC power supplies or one fixed 670 W AC power supply (model dependent).|
|Hot-swap components||Hard drives, power supplies, fans.|
|Systems management||UEFI, IBM Integrated Management Module (IMM), Predictive Failure Analysis, Light Path Diagnostics, Automatic Server Restart, IBM Systems Director* and IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager™, IBM ServerGuide. Optional Virtual Media Key for remote presence (graphics, keyboard and mouse, virtual media).|
|Security features||Power-on password, administrator’s password, Trusted Platform Module (TPM).|
|Video||Matrox G200eV with 16 MB memory integrated into the IMM. Maximum resolution is 1280×1024 at 75 Hz with 16M colors.|
|Operating systems supported||Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2008, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and 11, VMware ESX 4.0 and 4.1, VMware ESXi 4.0 and 4.1 embedded hypervisor.|
|Limited warranty||One-year (7378) or 3-year (7379) customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty with 9×5/next-business-day response time.|
|Service and support||Optional service upgrades are available through IBM ServicePacs®: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 8-hour fix time, 1-year or 2-year warranty extension, remote technical support for IBM hardware and selected IBM and third-party (Microsoft, Linux, VMware) software.|
|Dimensions||Width: 218 mm (8.6 in), depth: 767 mm (30.2 in), height: 440 mm (17.3 in)|
|Weight||Minimum configuration: 27.10 kg (59.7 lb), Maximum configuration: 37.85 kg (83.4 lb)|